My little puppy girl turned 12 yesterday!
The last time we were at KSC (back in 2012), the exhibit building was still under construction. Didn’t get to make it back for the exhibit opening, so we made sure to include it as part of the itinerary for our cruise last week.
The exhibit building is easy to find. Just look for the great big orange fuel tank of the shuttle booster rocket (it’s a full sized replica).
The exhibit starts with a short film about the history of the space shuttle program, after which the big door opens and you see the Shuttle Atlantis in all its glory.
The Shuttle exhibit is pretty well done with lots of interactive displays, simulators and a “Meet a specialist” program where you can talk with people who worked on the shuttles.
Having grown up during the space shuttle era, I never imagined that I’d actually get to see it up close. There are a few places where you can reach out and almost touch the shuttle. You can even read the numbers on the heat shield tiles and see the texture of the heat shield blankets. So awesome.
Also part of the exhibit is a tribute for the crew of the Challenger and Columbia space shuttles. A very moving display with personal items that belonged to each crew member. Also part of the display is a body panel from Challenger and the cockpit windows from Columbia.
You can’t help but spend a few quiet moments here.
A couple weeks ago, my 10 year old Dyson vacuum cleaner suffered a fairly significant structural failure near the top just above the cannister.
Poop, my Dyson suffered a structural failure pic.twitter.com/3o3GOMvMPa
— imabug (@imabug) November 20, 2016
Had a few people suggest patching it back together with some epoxy, so I grabbed something appropriate looking (JB Weld) from the hardware store.
I’ve never worked with epoxy before, so after reading the instructions, I mixed up a little bit on a paper plate, spread a bit along the cracked surfaces and slathered the rest around the crack.
I’ll let it cure the rest of today and see how it turns out tomorrow.
Update 2016-12-04: Did some vacuuming this morning and the epoxy patch job seems to be pretty solid. Don’t feel any flexing at the repair joint. I think this will probably keep the Dyson going for a few more years.
The workbench has a top now!
After browsing around Home Depot for a bit, I ended up going with 8 foot long 2×8″ boards for the top. A little rougher than the 1×8″ boards I was initially thinking about, but the 2×8″ boards were significantly less expensive. The end result is essentially the same though. The edges aren’t exactly the most square so there are some tiny gaps between each board, but nothing big enough that stuff will fall through them.
Next task will be to take the sander to it and smooth it out some. After that, it will be ready to use (unless I decide to do some coats of polyurethane or something).